Goals of Asthma Therapy
The goals of asthma management are to:
- Be active (exercise and do sports) without having symptoms.
- Sleep through the night without symptoms.
- Prevent asthma episodes (attacks).
- Be free of side effects from medicines.
If you work with your/your child’s doctor to manage asthma, you can achieve these goals. It is important to have an open relationship with the doctor that cares for you/your child. Discuss the following topics with your doctor:
- Establishing a partnership to manage asthma.
- Understanding basic asthma information and resources for care
- Developing a maintenance asthma medicine plan
- Using inhalers, spacers and nebulizers correctly.
- Measuring peak flow at home.
- Developing a written asthma action plan to manage acute episodes.
- Identifying and removing triggers of asthma.
- Managing exercise-related asthma.